Basford Beaten In FA Cup

Chasetown 2-1 Basford United (FA Cup First Qualifying Round) 22.09.20

Basford United were knocked out of the FA cup following a disappointing 2-1 defeat away to Chasetown.

The hosts started quickly and took the lead as Joey Butlin headed home from a free-kick. But arguably against the run of play Basford drew level through an almost identical goal with Kane Richards marking his first start of the season with a goal.

The start of the second half started with a moment of madness from Curtis Pond. The Chasetown ‘keeper took a kick out at Basford forward Niall Towle, who was on the floor, and was deservedly shown a straight red for his actions. That did not stop Chasetown regaining the lead though as Ryan Wynter headed home in the 55th minute.

And despite some late pressure from the visitors Chasetown held out to book their place in the next round of the FA Cup, leaving Basford with just the league and FA Trophy to concentrate on.

The game started with the hosts on the front foot, with Basford struggling to settle and that saw Chasetown take the lead. Matt Thornhill gave a free-kick away on the right and Butlin rose highest to head it past Jordan Pierrepont. Pierrepont was called into action again just minutes later and this time he came up with a good save to deny Jordan Evans.

Basford began to slowly grow into the game and just before the half hour mark were on level terms. A free-kick from Ryan Wilson, was headed home by Richards in an almost carbon copy of Chasetown’s opener. That goal seemed to kick Steve Chettle’s side into life as they upped the pressure. Niall Towle’s low cross in was almost turned in at the back post before Kyle Dixon curled an effort wide just before the break.

The second half started in quick fashion as the hosts were reduced to ten men. Pond took a kick out at Basford striker Towle, who was on the floor after challenging the ‘keeper for a loose ball, and was deservedly shown a straight red.

But that did not stop the hosts from regaining the lead. A ball into the box was not dealt with and ended up at the back post for Wynter to head in.

The game then hit a lull where neither side was able to force the opposition ‘keeper into action.  The only real chance came as Thornhill headed over the bar. That was before a. momentum of controversy. Alex Howes burst into the area and looked to have been pushed over but the referee had a different view and showed him a yellow for simulation.

Basford were soon back on the front foot though as Thornhill saw his effort saved before Wilson and James Clifton had two long range shots blocked. They continued to look for a way back into the game and had two big chances to draw level late on.

Thornhill linked up well with Towle on the edge of the box but his effort beat the post as he took aim for the bottom corner. Howes then went even closer forcing a good stop from stand in ‘keeper Callum Haywood in what was the last real chance for Basford to salvage something from the game, with the score ending 2-1.

Chasetown: Pond, Melbourne, Evans, Slater, Wynter, O. Hayward (Haddaway 78), Kirton (C. Hayward 51), Langston, Butlin, O’Calloghan, Cooke (Riley-Stewart 63).

Basford United: Pierrpont, Clifton, Roma (Dixon 23), Thornhill, Galinski, Gatter, Richards, Chettle, Towle, James, Wilson.

Venue: The Scholars Ground (266)

Harry Worgan

*Article provided by Harry Worgan (Basford United Correspondent).

*Main image @Basfordutdfc action at Chasetown in the FA Cup.

Leave a Reply