Reid Goal Gives Stags Win On The Road

Cambridge United 0-1 Mansfield Town (EFL League Two) 02.12.20

Mansfield Town beat high flying Cambridge United at the Abbey Stadium as Nigel Clough’s men move out of the bottom two relegation places in the division to 19th in the table following a solid performance against tough opposition with playoff credentials.

The match was the first in front of fans for Mansfield since March, as a small number of home supporters were allowed to attend in a tier two region, socially distanced and well-behaved of course behind their masks.

Despite the extra support, it was the away side however that looked to be enjoying playing in front of fans more than their hosts as Mansfield started with attacking intent, Jamie Reid firing over after just a minutes play before Benning had a shot blocked on seven minutes.

Cambridge had their first real chance just before the twentieth minute when Hannant tried his luck from outside the box although a huge deflection off Sweeney made things comfortable for Stech in the Stags goal.

After an early substitute for the home side, Mullins fired a free kick over before Stech was forced into making a wonderful save as Cundy smashed powerfully towards goal for the big Czech keeper to tip over the bar acrobatically. Nil nil at the break.

Just as they did in the first half, Mansfield started the better of the two sides in the second half too and again it was Jamie Reid with the first opportunity who struck wide of the posts only two minutes in.

The dangerous looking Reid looked to cheekily lob Mitov in the U’s goal on the hour before the same player found Harry Charsley two minutes later who’s close range effort was well saved.

It mattered not though as the compliment was soon repaid, Charsley nodding down to Reid who made no mistake to put the Stags 1-0 up with little over 25 minutes of the match remaining.

As Mansfield looked to hold on, Cambridge attacked for a leveller and Ironside forced Stech to save low to his left before the former Luton Goalkeeper saved stunningly from Mullins with ten minutes remaining, tipping his shot over which looked destined for the back of the net.

As the game fizzled out it was the away side who would be jubilant as the referee blown the final whistle, a victory on the road for Mansfield who have now won their last four games away from Field Mill in all competitions.

Next up is Crawley, back in tier three blighty at the weekend.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Knoyle, Taylor, Cundy, Dunk (Iredale 75), Hoolahan, Boateng (May 28), Digby, Hannant (Knibbs 75), Mullin, Ironside.

Mansfield Town: Stech, Gordon, Menayese, Sweeney, Benning, Charsley (Cook 90), Lapslie, Clarke, Maris (O’Keeffe 89), Bower, Reid (Maynard 82).

Venue: Abbey Stadium

*Main image @mansfieldtownfc action from Abbey Stadium as the Stags beat the U’s.

Leave a Reply