Forest Thrashed By Rampant Swans

Swansea City 5-1 Nottingham Forest (FA Cup Fourth Round) 23.01.21

Nottingham Forest were humiliatingly dumped out of the FA Cup as their hosts Swansea City ran riot in South Wales to knock out Chris Hughton’s men at the fourth round stage.

The home side got off to the perfect start after just seven minutes when Wayne Routledge raced down the right to cross into Liam Cullen who slotted home low past Jordan Smith.

The former Spurs and Crystal Palace winger who supplied the goal however didn’t last long as his afternoon was cut short, substituted on twenty minutes with an injury.

Swansea had a golden opportunity to double their advantage on 23 minutes when Routledge’s replacement from the bench Jamal Lowe was sent through, but a heavy touch by the usually prolific striker allowed Jordan Smith to smother the danger.

Smith then pushed over a header by his own man Worrall on 28 before Matt Grimes smashed home a belter left footed from all of 25 yards to put the Swans two up.

Things could have got even worse five minutes before half time when Dhanda sent Connor Roberts through to slot home but Forest were rescued by the linesman’s flag for offside.

A double change by Reds Manager Chris Hughton at the break encouraged Forest to go forward and immediately Joe Lolley shot towards goal, deflected wide for a corner. Carl Jenkinson then had a shot blocked and a succession of corners tested the Swans defence at long last.

On 56 minutes the lively Joe Lolley weaved into the area and as he was brought down the ball fell to Anthony Knockaert who smashed home to reduce the deficit but almost as soon as Forest were back in the game, a penalty was awarded to the Swans after Worrall brought down Manning. Grimes making no mistake sending Smith the wrong way. A soft decision by Kevin Friend and one that knocked the stuffing totally out of the Reds.

Manning then tested the palms of Smith as the homeside searched a fourth goal which eventually came when the same player then cut back low to Cullen who smashed home almost a carbon-copy of his first goal of the game with 23 minutes left to play.

Lolley might have reduced the deficit again when he ran through to shoot straight at Woodman and Guerrero couldn’t flick the following corner on target after Worrall headed towards goal.

Looking for his hat-trick Liam Cullen then tested Smith as the Forest defenders all stood waiting for each other and to wrap up a terrible defensive display on the day, with four minutes remaining, young Oli Cooper smashed home low his first ever goal in senior football after Lowe robbed Toby Figueiredo to see his own shot blocked by defenders.

A terrible day in Wales for Forest who never really got going, defensively the worst display of the season by far and whilst the Reds did create chances in the second half, their first wasn’t until they were 2-0 down, their goal quickly cancelled out by the conceding of a soft penalty. Focus now draws to survival in the Championship where they will need to do much better than this, if they are to avoid a long and concerning relegation scrap.

Swansea City: Woodman, Latibeaudiere, Bennett, Guehi (Bidwell 65), Roberts (Garrick 76), Hourihane (Cooper 65), Grimes (Fulton 65), Manning, Dhanda, Routledge (Lowe 20), Cullen.

Nottingham Forest: Smith, Jenkinson, Worrall, Figueiredo, Bong (Blackett 76), Bachirou (Cafu 46), Mbe Soh, Lolley, Freeman (Guerrero 46), Knockaert (Mighten 76), Taylor.

Venue: Liberty Stadium

*Main image @SwansOfficial a bad day in Wales for Carl Jenkinson and Nottingham Forest.

1 thought on “Forest Thrashed By Rampant Swans

  1. Thats a very poor report on the game , first goal player was offside , second goal foul on Taylor in the box prior to shot . Penalty decision by ref was a disgrace .

Leave a Reply