Tigers Through To Q3

A late flurry for Craig Parry’s Worksop Town saw the Nottinghamshire-based side reach the third qualifying round of the FA Cup on Saturday afternoon, when away to Lincoln United.

Goalless as the game headed towards the final ten minutes or so, the Tigers turned the outcome on its head with a late, three-goal flurry thanks to a Liam Hughes brace, and one for Jay Rollins.

The hosts found themselves reduced to ten men early in the second period when Ted Gibbons saw red for leading with his arm in an aerial battle with Deegan Atherton, the visitors eventually taking advantage of the extra man.

Luke Hall and Jay Rollins combined with eleven minutes remaining, the latter flicking the ball into the path off Liam Hughes, he burying a left-footed effort into the back of the net; four minutes later and, like buses, the second arrived almost immediately.

The hosts had given away a corner which was sent into the box by Terry Hawkridge, the initial effort on goal, from Hughes, was saved by Jack Steggles in the home goal, however Rollins was on hand to fire into the roof of the net from close range.

A penalty was then awarded in the last minute of normal time to the Tigers and, although Hughes dispatched it, the match official blew for a foul and, in-turn, disallowed the goal; not to be undone, the Tigers soon added their third, in the fifth minute of added time.

Hughes eventually buried his second of the game, he could have easily had many more; a cross from Rollins reaches the Tigers hitman and he proceeded to hit a bicycle kick past Steggles, and into the top corner of the goal, sealing the visitors’ place in the next round.

Worksop Town – Paul Cooper, Deegan Atherton, Josh Wilde, Sam Wedgebury (Paul Green, 77), Hamza Bencherif (Jack Broadhead, 61), George Taft, Terry Hawkridge, Aleksandrs Starcenko (Vaughan Redford, 65), Luke Hall, Liam Hughes, Jay Rollins

The other Notts side in FA Cup duty, Carlton Town, saw their cup dreams ended when away to Rushall Olympic, David Adegbola and Dan Brown netting for the Millers in a 3-2 defeat; meanwhile, in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, Basford United fell to a 1-0 loss when home to Ilkeston Town.

It was to be a defeat that spelled the end of the road for both Basford manager, Steve Kitterick, and owner/chairman Chris Munroe – read the latest here

Ryan Hindley’s Retford United continue to enjoy life in the Northern Counties East (Division One) when they romped to a 5-0 win at home to Brigg Town, fellow Notts clubs, Retford and Ollerton Town, both suffering defeats when on the road at Beverley Town and Wombwell Town respectively.

The Badgers stormed to victory in a dominant second period, it coming after Lewis Macaskill had afforded them a one-goal, interval lead; in the second however Max Pemberton doubled the advantage within ten minutes of the restart before Mark West, who else, added the third on the hour.

Then, with the game heading into the final fifteen minutes, Max Dungworth notched his first of the game when getting on the end of a through-ball from Jacob Priestnall before, five minutes later, the Badgers were out of sight with Dungworth’s second, and his sides’ fifth, firing home from fully thirty yards.

The Choughs meanwhile, they fell to a 4-2 defeat when away to Beverley, despite leading 2-1 at the break through goals from Zach Casburn and Haydn Goddard, whilst Ollerton suffered a 5-0 loss when away to Wombwell, the hosts’ Gavin Allott firing a four-goal salvo.

Sherwood Colliery are setting the pace in the United Counties League Premier Division North following a comprehensive, 5-1 defeat, at home to second place Eastwood CFC, leading the way by three points and with two games in hand (due to cup runs).

The victory for Colliery sees them stretch their start to the campaign to one loss in fourteen outings (in all competitions) as they raced into a three-goal, interval lead; a brace from Craig Westcarr (one from the spot), and one from Jobe Shaw saw the hosts out in front inside half hour.

Eastwood substitute, Benjamin Henderson pulled one back for the visitors just after hour mark, before Shaw restored the hosts’ three-goal advantage with sixteen remaining, before Ethan Wiesztort grabbed a late fifth with a couple of minutes remaining.

Sherwood Colliery – Louis Kinnerley, Ricky Starbuck (Carter Widdowson, 78), Jobe Shaw, Jake Wright, Louis Tomlinson, Will Norcross (Jacob Pearce, 64), Josh Waldram (Louis Pennington, 78), Jamie York (Robson Doolan, 78), Ethan Wiesztort, Marley Grant, Craig Westcarr (Kieran Knight, 75)

Elsewhere in the UCL Premier, Kimberley Miners Welfare edged visiting Heanor Town 1-0, and AFC Mansfield were held to a 3-3 draw with visiting Wisbech Town, Hucknall Town meanwhile were on the end a six-goal thrashing when away to Deeping Rangers.

In Division One, Clipstone edged a local affair, 2-1, away to West Bridgford, whilst two games involving Notts clubs featured seven goals apiece; Newark Town saw off visiting Selston 5-2, Elliot King with a brace for the victors and Dunkirk just edged hosts Blackstones.

Rainworth Miners Welfare and Southwell City shared six goals with Callum Brooks netting twice for the hosts, Radford were held to a 1-1 draw when away to Birstall United, and Gedling Miners Welfare saw the same against visiting Lutterworth Athletic, whilst Sandiacre Town and Clifton All Whites suffered defeats on the road.

The Central Midlands Alliance Premier North saw victories for both SJR Worksop (2-0 at AFC Phoenix), and Retford Reserves (2-1 at home to Woodhouse Colts), whilst in the South, Arnold Town and Linby Colliery Welfare shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw whilst there was defeats for Mansfield Hosiery Mills, Teversal, and Nottingham, the latter going down 6-1 away to Cromford & Wirksworth.

As for the Nottinghamshire Senior League, Collingham (28 pts) currently lead Stapleford Town (27) by a point with the second-placed side having a game in hand; Woodthorpe Park Rangers (18), Awsworth Villa (17) and Beeston (15) making up the top five following Saturday’s games.

Stapleford moved within touching distance of the leaders after they won 2-1 away to Aslockton & Orston, whilst two sides scored sic apiece on the road, third place Woodthorpe won 6-2 at FC Sez, and Gresley Rovers Reserves edged an eleven-goal thriller when at Cotgrave.

*Article provided by Peter Mann (Senior Correspondent).

*Main image @worksoptownfc the Tigers celebrate during their win at Lincoln.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *