Hucknall Reach Playoff Final

One in, one out, in the United Counties Division One play-offs after Newark Town lost their semi-final, away to Birstall United, on Saturday afternoon, whilst Hucknall Town, thanks to the heroics of goalkeeper Louis Kinnerley, defeated Bourne Town on penalties.

At Birstall, in front a 400-strong crowd,, the hosts raced into a three-goal, first half lead, Paul Pallett with two of three in a devastating, five-minute spell; Lewis Chambers pulled a goal back early in the second period, and Sam Bartle pulled the visitors within one, with a little over twenty remaining.

The hosts however, held on for a 3-2 to reach the play-off final where they’ll face Hucknall Town, who, having drawn 1-1 away to Bourne, edged the game 4-2 on penalties; Craig Westcarr scored for Hucknall midway through the first, and netted from the spot, whilst Kinnerley, he proved the hero when saving two, Bill Brooks burying the decider.

Hucknall Town will now face Birstall United in the UCL Division One play-off final, and a chance to play in next seasons’ Premier Division.

The remaining, last game of the season in the division, saw Dunkirk lose 3-1 when away to St. Andrews, Luis Parkes with the visitors goal; the Premier Division North meanwhile saw the last round of matches played also, amidst no joy for Nottinghamshire clubs.

AFC Mansfield drew 1-1 with Skegness Town, and Newark & Sherwood did the same when away to Sleaford Town, but that was as good as it got.

Goals from James Shaw and Tom Eccleshall were insufficient for Kimberley Miners Welfare as they conceded a 97 minute goal at home to Melton Town, losing 3-2, Eastwood CFC lost by the same when away to Wisbech Town as they conceded twice in the closing minutes following goals from Tyler Blake and Ryan Tait.

Meanwhile Sherwood Colliery, who finished seventh, and Selston, bottom, both lost 2-0, the former when home to Quorn, and the latter, at Boston United.

Worksop Town have finished their season with a record-breaking, unbeaten Northern Premier League run, of 37 games, following a come-from-behind, 3-2 win, away to North Shields; two down at the break, the champions turned the game on its head in the second period following goals from Liam Hardy and Vaughan Redford, levelling within a couple of second half minutes, before Luke Hall bagged the winner with eight remaining.

Carlton Town also picked up victory when they hosted another, north-east side, seeing off Dunston UTS 2-0, Kieran Watson scoring early on before Nat Watson added the second in the dying minutes; as for Basford United, in the Southern Premier Central, they lost 2-0 at home to Stratford Town.

The Central Midlands League saw SJR Worksop crash to a 4-2 defeat away to Yorkshire Main in the North, whilst in the South, it was derby day, with ten goals being netted in the two matches played.

Linby Colliery Welfare defeated visiting Nottingham 3-1, Mason Moores with a brace, whilst Arnold Town won 4-2 away to Teversal, Liam Black with a brace for the visitors.

As for the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division, Keyworth United lead Sandiacre Town by four points after the leaders won an eight-goal thriller in a battle of the top two, winning 5-3 at home; Stapleford Town meanwhile are within two points of second place after they won 3-2 at Clifton FCB, and Basford CFC kept up their battle for a top finish, winning 3-1 away to Dunkirk.

*Article provided by Peter Mann (Senior Correspondent).

*Main image @HucknallTownFC Louis Kinnerley saves a penalty in the shootout to send Hucknall through.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *