Notts Sides Beaten In FA Cup

It wasn’t a great day for our county’s sides in the FA Cup who were all beaten by higher level opposition in the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

Worksop Town gave National League North outfit Chester a good run for their money though in taking the former Football League side to a penalty shoot-out in the rain at Sandy Lane.

Vaughan Redford had missed an early penalty for the Tigers after James Baxendale was brought down in the opening twelve minutes but Oscar Radford headed home on the half hour to give the home side a deserved lead.

Chester fought back in a fierce game where tempers flared early in the second half but on 75 minutes Jack Broadhead struck for the Tigers against the run of play to give Craig Parry’s men a two goal lead with one foot in the next round.

The away side pulled one back however with five minutes of normal time to play when Daniel Livesey poked home after Town goalkeeper Malkowski spilled and deep into injury time the visitors levelled things up again through Livesey to force the game straight into a shoot out.

Both sides scored their first seven penalties before Worksop missed their fourth with Chester keeper Hinsley making the save leaving Grandy to finish things off to take Anthony Johnson’s side through, by the skin of their teeth.

It was a little more routine for Northern Premier League side Mickleover who beat Newark FC 4-1 at the Dom Amott Arena. Newark missed an early penalty on 17 minutes before Stuart Beavon made it 1-0 to the Derby based outfit just past the half hour and when Andrew Wright made it two twenty-five minutes into the second half it looked curtains on the Tangerines cup campaign.

The home side went 3-0 up through Wright again on 79 before Newark missed another penalty with goalkeeper Joe Slinn saving his second of the match which spurred on Mickleover at the other end as substitute Declan Bacon made it four late on. Newark did pull one back in injury time but by then the damage was done, chances converted they might have faired a different outcome.

Another Notts side AFC Mansfield were also well-beaten this time by Boston United in a game played at Gainsborough Trinity whilst National North side Boston have their new ground developed.

Boston netted early on through former Notts County winger Terry Hawkridge and were 2-0 up inside 14 minutes when Jordan Burrow netted before Lynton Karkach pulled one back for the Bulls. Luke Shields then netted on the stroke of half time and the Pilgrims made it 4-1 on 72 minutes when Fraser Preston netted before a late consolation by Tom Slone gave some respectability on a scoreline against a side that are three divisions higher.

AFC Mansfield Manager Matt Chatfield saying after “Proud of them today going toe to toe with Boston for 90 minutes and giving them a good game”

Not a great weekend for Notts clubs in the cup but all three sides can be proud of their achievements in the competition, all bowing out eventually to much higher opposition.

*Main image @ChesterFC penalty shoot out action between Worksop & Chester.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *