Rainworth Win In FA Vase

Rainworth Miners Welfare 3-2 Belper United (FA Vase Round One) 31.10.20

Rainworth MWFC secured an FA Vase Second Round place as they beat Belper United 3-2 at the Kirklington Road Ground.

An 82nd minute winner from Kyle Hempshall settled the tie in the home side’s favour despite having a man sent off.

Khyle Sargent and Ryan Ingram also got onto the scoresheet for Rainworth with Richard Hanslow netting a brace for Belper.

Rainworth took the lead in the 10th minute through Khyle Sargent. A freekick from the left side was dropped in at the near post by Sargent, beating keeper Scott Whittingham who struggled to deal with the balls late bounce.

Belper came close to finding an equaliser ten minutes later. The ball was crossed to Richard Hanslow inside the box whose shot was blocked by Kyle Hempshall. The ball rebounded off Hempshall falling to the feet of Jake Dodds whose shot beat the keeper before being cleared off the goal line emphatically by Elliot Jones.

However four minutes late Belper did find their equaliser. A long ball over the top by Martin Smyth was gathered by Curtis Williamson who squared the ball to Dodds at the far post as the forward slotted home comfortably.

Rainworth started the second half brightly and won a penalty in the 56th minute. Ryan Herbert bombed down the right before being tripped inside the box by the Belper man to win the spot kick. Ryan Ingram stepped up and saw his penalty saved by Whittingham before reacting quickly to tap in the rebound.

In the 63rd minute the home side were reduced to ten men as Elliot Jones took down Curtis Williamson on the edge of the box to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Despite being a man down The Wrens had the ball in the back of the net eight minutes later as Kane Hempshall’s cross was turned in by Ingram before the linesman’s flag was raised for offside.

Belper found their equaliser in the 75th minute as Hanslow was allowed time to run at the Wrens defence before firing a powerful shot off the underside of the cross bar for his second goal of the game.

In the 82nd minute Rainworth went ahead for the third time in the match as Ingram’s in-swinging corner was bundled in by Kyle Hempshall on the goal line to send the Wrens into the next round of the vase.

Rainworth Miners Welfare: Squires, Herbert, Wootton, Kyle Hempshall, Jones, Kane Hempshall, Sargent, Naylor, Topliss, Mitchell, Ingram. Subs: Harris, Clarke, Coupe, Bamford.

Belper United: Whittingham, Allen, Guy, Smyth, Strzyzewski, James Rushby, Robinson, Tyson, Hanslow, Williamson, Dodds. Subs: Tom Rushby, Jim Rushby, Kirk, Ozmen, Mulonga, Garnett, Wright.

Venue: Kirklington Road (60)

*Article provided by Max Barton (Rainworth Miners Welfare Correspondent).

*Main image @maxbartonn Rainworth celebrate scoring against Belper United.

Leave a Reply