Ten Men Stags Beaten By Leaders

Forest Green 1-0 Mansfield Town (EFL League Two) 05.04.22

Mansfield Town were beaten by league leaders Forest Green in the revised fixture at the New Lawn after the two sides met earlier in the year before that match was abandoned due to fog.

It was always going to be a tough task facing a team that have lost just five matches all season and the win takes the Green seven points clear ahead of second placed Exeter but more importantly twelve points ahead of the playoff places with automatic promotion nearing in sight.

For the Stags, unlucky on the night and reduced to ten men early in the second half, they sit sixth well within the promotion chase still three points from the automatic places but with a game in hand on most around them.

The winning goal in Nailsworth came after just fourteen minutes when a left footed cross by Bailey Cargill was met with a diving header by Jamille Matt, his effort was brilliantly stopped by Nathan Bishop diving to his right but Josh March was on hand to volley the rebound home.

Bishop was called to action again on 33 minutes when March went racing through as the Stags goalkeeper stood firm in a half largely dominated by the hosts.

Mansfield were reduced to ten early in the second half as George Lapslie, hero in recent weeks went quickly to zero, the midfielder unfortunate to receive his marching orders after a tackle in the centre of the pitch on Adams.

The home side applied the pressure as they looked for a second but Mansfield’s defence stood firm, minus the man advantage however it was difficult for the visitors to get out and create anything for themselves, the result in the end going by the way of the hosts.

Post-match, Manager Nigel Clough praised his sides performance, stating “I thought we were very, very good tonight for an away side coming to the top of the league.”

Clough continued “We take an awful lot of heart out of tonight.”

On the sending off, Clough was displeased with the Referee’s decision and said “I think it was an incorrect decision. You don’t work with many more honest and genuine lads than George Lapslie, you saw his reaction on the pitch.

“He didn’t make contact with the player and the referee is five yards away.”

Forest Green: McGee, Wilson, Sweeney, Cargill, Stevenson (Hendry 82), Adams, Aitchison (Bernard 90), Cadden, Matt, Moore-Taylor, March.

Mansfield Town: Bishop, Hewitt, O‘Toole, Hawkins (Perch 46), McLaughlin, Wallace (Stirk 46), Quinn (Johnson 61), Longstaff, Lapslie, Bowery, Akins.

Venue: The New Lawn (2,784)

*Main image @mansfieldtownfc a tough night for Mansfield in Gloucestershire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *