Carlton Score First Win At Boro

Grimsby Borough 1-2 Carlton Town (Northern Premier League East Division) 19.08.22

Brad Wells and Martin Ball were on target as Carlton Town picked up their first win of the season with a 2-1 success at Grimsby Borough.

The win was fully deserved as the Millers created and spurned a hatful of chances before Ball’s late winner and with a little more composure around the box, the margin of victory would have been far more comfortable.  Nonetheless, this was a much improved display after Saturday’s opening day defeat at home to Ossett Utd.

Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey made no changes to the team from that loss and gave them to chance to redeem themselves and in an entertaining and at times feisty encounter they did just that.

Carlton’s first effort came on just five minutes when Wells hit a spectacular overhead kick over the bar after Ball had flicked on a Lawrence Gorman throw-in.

Grimsby responded and Caine Winfarrah cut inside before firing over the top almost immediately afterwards.  Jordan Barnett then headed just wide at the back post from a deep corner.

The Millers were denied what looked a clear penalty on 14 minutes when Tom Sawyer shoved over Khyle Sargent, but the referee wasn’t interested.  A few minutes later all 20 outfield players were involved in a full on handbags melee with the referee brandishing the first of what turned out to be 10 yellow cards on the night (seven for Grimsby plus a late red and three for Carlton).

Nat Watson and Wells then combined with the latter’s shot deflected over the bar for a corner.

Carlton took the lead on 26 minutes.  Wells ran onto a through ball, held off Thomas Hipwell and rounded goalkeeper Liam Higton before slotting home into an empty net.

Grimsby responded an Ball did well to cover one break before the home side levelled on 34 minutes.  Khyle Sargent missed the ball in midfield and Adam Drury ran forward before firing across Mikey Emery into the corner of the net.

Carlton continued to pass the ball well, with Gorman and Lewis Durow attacking down the flanks, and from one such attack Durow beat Tom Jamieson but his cross was too near the goalkeeper.

Back at the other end Jack Debnam volleyed just over the bar as Carlton allowed him too much space.

If the first half had seen Borough create some chances, the second half was one way traffic as Carlton poured forward in search of a winner.

On 49 minutes a long throw from Durow saw a Sargent shot knocked into path of Wells who poked wide from six yards.

Then Alex Howes almost scored a bizarre goal as Callum Lovett’s clearance rebounded off him and just wide of the post.

A Howes corner was then cleared to Watson who fired just wide before another lovely passing move created a chance for Sargent who just couldn’t get his shot away.

Both full backs were playing as wing backs and Sargent was almost a third centre forward alongside Jack Deakin and Wells as Grimsby struggled to keep any possession.

Sargent had yet another effort, this time hitting his shot over the bar after Wells had knocked on a free kick.

Sargent then turned provider, sending Wells clear down the left.  The striker steadied himself but lifted his shot over the bar to the despair of the travelling support behind the goal and moments later Wells volleyed just wide from a quick Sargent cross.

That despair turned to joy soon afterwards when Ball headed home a long throw from Durow to spark joyous celebrations behind the goal.

Howes could have sealed it late on but Wells cross went through his legs before Howes saw another effort blocked after substitute Niall Davie set him up.

Amongst all the Carlton chances there had been a few industrial tackles and minor skirmishes.  In the third minutes of added time Sargent was booked for a foul on Debney.  That sparked another episode of multi-player nonsense in which home goalkeeper HIgton ran from his line to become involved and clearly did something more than the rest as the referee showed him a straight red.  Callum Lovett took over in goal for the final couple of minutes but Carlton saw the game out to record the win.

The entire squad came over to the travelling support at the end to thank them for their noisy efforts on the night.  It was a fine way to end a splendid evening’s entertainment.

Carlton Town: M Emery, L Gorman, L Durow, M Ball, D Brown, K Tomlin (R Tait 78), N Watson, K Sargent, B Wells, J Deakin (N Davie 70), A Howes.  Unused substitutes: R Stainsby, D Thomas, D Freeman.

*Article provided by Sky Blue Miller.

*Main image @Grimsby_Borough 125 spectators watched the match at the Bradley Development Centre.

Leave a Reply