Newark Hit Eight & Worksop Through

The FA Trophy, Notts FA Senior Trophy, and the United Counties League KO Cup, took centre-stage across Nottinghamshire’s non-league scene on Saturday afternoon, amidst the usual excitement, and disappointment, for the county’s sides.

Newark & Sherwood United were the afternoon’s top-scorers, progressing to the next round of the UCL Cup with a convincing, 8-0 win, away to Leicester St. Andrews, the Highwaymen having notched five in the first half alone.

Luke White would open the scoring for the visitors within ten minutes of kick-off, rifling a thirty-yarder into the bottom corner, before Liam Moran added the second was slotted home from close range midway through the half, Newark & Sherwood looking to head into half-time with a comfortable advantage.

That comfort was certainly added to either side of the interval, when Moran grabbed his second of the afternoon with a tap-in following a saved effort from Kosi Nwobi, then Ainsley Finney took the reins.

His first came three minutes before the break, heading home from six yards after White’s effort was saved, then in stoppage time he doubled up when rounding the home ‘keeper having been played in by Sam King, the visitors going in five goals to the good at the break.

Within four minutes of the restart, five quickly became six, Finney completing a quick-fire hat-trick when beating the ‘keeper one-on-one, the treble coming inside ten minutes either side of the break, the visitors also making a handful of changes before the midway point of the half.

As the game ticked towards twenty remaining, one of those substitutions, Tom Jones, on for Luke White less than fifteen minutes earlier, smashed a free-kick into the top corner, the ‘keeper rooted to the spot.

Chances flowing, an eighth was added with thirteen left on the clock, and another substitute, Kyle Onyon, getting in on the act when heading home to complete the rout.

Newark & Sherwood United – Ross Woolley, Liam Marsden, Ryan Thompson, Toby White, Sam King (Harley Bates, 60; Jonathan D’Laryea, 82), Lloyd Patterson, Luke White (Tom Jones, 55), Arun Jones, Ainsley Finney (Kyle Onyon, 55), Kosi Nwobi (Liam Mays, 67), Liam Moran

In the FA Trophy it was a case of one through, one out, as Worskop Town, and of course Liam Hughes, continued their good form when seeing off Stocksbridge Park Steels 2-1, Hughes with a brace (second coming from the penalty spot); meanwhile, Basford United exited the competition when losing 1-0 on the road at Stratford Town.

The UCL Cup competition would see both Eastwood, and Radford, exit the competition; the former saw a 2-1 interval lead overturned in the second half as they lost 3-2 at home to Easington Sports, Tyler Blake and Marcus Marshall having netted, whilst the latter lost to a 95 minute goal from Skegness’ Gary King, that being the only goal of the game.

There were plenty of games played in the United Counties League, Premier North and Division One, Sherwood Colliery notching another win in the former, 5-0 at home to Heanor Town with Marley Grant bagging a hat-trick alongside goals from Ewan Robson and Kieran Knight, and AFC Mansfield won 2-1 away to Boston Town, Thomas Lee-Collier snatching a last-minute winner.

In the other two games in the Premier North, Hucknall Town were held to a goalless draw at home to Loughborough Students, and Kimberley Miners Welfare fell to a 2-0 defeat against visiting Sleaford.

Division on the other-hand saw Gedling win the battle of the Miners Welfare’s, defeating visiting Rainworth 6-0, three goals in each half, and six different scorers as Buba Ceesay, Courtney Hastings, Joshua Thornton, Jack Koczalski, Kieran Harrison and Steven Brett all netted for the victors.

Lucus Cotterill notched a brace in Newark Town’s 3-1 home win over Saffron Dynamo, whilst Dunkirk, and Southwell City, were both held to draws on the road, the former 2-2 at Birstall United, the latter 1-1 at Asfordby; Clipstone and Selston both tasting defeating.

Retford United scored twice late on to draw away to Shirebrook, Sam Eckhardt and Lewis Macaskill doing so in the last five minutes of a 2-2 draw, whilst Ollerton were hit for six without reply at home to Beverley Town, James Norfolk and Joe McFadyen with braces for the victors.

Woodhouse Colts edged visiting Retford Reserves 2-1 in the Central Midlands Alliance Premier North, Liam Theakstone and Jayden Bull netting for the victors, whilst SJR Worskop were held to a 1-1 draw away to Elite FC; Premier South sides meanwhile were in action in the Notts FA Trophy, Linby Colliery Welfare progressing with a 4-1 win at home to Meden Vale Colts.

Teveral were edged on penalties following a 1-1 draw with Cotgrave, and Arnold Town suffered a 6-0 defeat away to Southwell City Reserves; other results in the Trophy saw Aslocton & Orston defeat visiting Ashland Rovers Reserves 6-1, Keyworth United win 6-1 at Elston, Blidworth Welfare edge visitors Hucknall Town Reserves by the odd-goal-in-five, and Stapleford defeat Woodthorpe Park Rangers on penalties after they shared four goals.

As for the Nottinghamshire Senior League, Awsworth Villa moved top by two points from Stapleford, having played two games more, the Villa having won 4-0 at Beeston thanks to goals from Robbie Manners, Mason Proctor-Smith, Ethan Shipstone, and substitute Josh Rae.

Liam Taylor scored twice as Wollaton defeated visiting Gresley Rovers Reserves 6-0, and Basford CFC won 4-0 at Dunkirk, West Bridgford Colls IIs and Borrowash Victoria, and Ruddington Village and Ravenshead both finished in draws.

*Article provided by Peter Mann (Senior Correspondent).

*Main image @worksoptownfc subdued celebrations after Worksop reached the next round of the FA Trophy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *