Prince Rescues Basford Point

In the Northern Premier League, Basford United came back to earn a 2-2 draw at home to Warrington Rylands, whilst Worksop Town fell to a 2-1 loss at Marine, in the Premier Division, whilst in the East, Carlton Town were held to a goalless draw when at Stocksbridge Park Steels.

It was Prince’s day as United’s new signing Prince Mancinelli grabbed a late equaliser against high flying Warrington. The away side took the lead on the stroke of half time from the spot before adding to their advantage on 67 but after Mason Frizelle pulled one back on 76, United attacked and their former youth star who most recently made a name for himself at Nuneaton Borough, levelled up to earn the Ambers a share of the spoils.

No such luck for Worksop who were beaten by a 98th minute winner at Marine. Regan Hutchinson had put the Tigers in the lead early on before an 84th minute leveller. Hutchinson then got sent off in added time before a late winner from the home side saw third place Marine pull four points ahead of Worksop who are now sixth in the table.

Sherwood Colliery have a four point lead atop of the UCL Premier North, although played a game more than second placed Lincoln United, following the Colliery’s 2-0 home win over Wisbech Town, Craig Westcarr and Kieran Knight with a goal in each half.

Kimberley Miners Welfare also collected a 2-0 win, to move up to twelfth, goals coming from Jordan Alls and Kole Lambert; Hucknall Town were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Melton Town, whilst there was 2-0 defeats at home for both Eastwood CFC, and Newark & Sherwood United, against Deeping Rangers and Ashby Ivanhoe respectively.

Newark Town continued their push for promotion to the United Counties Premier North with a 5-0 demolition job of lowly hosts, Asfordby, on Saturday afternoon.

Town, who currently sit in third place in UCL Division One, do have a mountainous task to overhaul the top two of Bourne Town (first) and Clipstone (second), the leaders a sizeable eighteen points ahead going into the business end of the season.

Two goals in the opening quarter hour set the Nottinghamshire side on their way to a commanding win, Harvey Grice opening the scoring after just two minutes when he poked home, on the rebound, following a blocked effort from Ryan Smith; he was involved ten minutes later also, Smith beating the offside trap to square for visiting captain Lewis Chambers to double the lead with his 21st of the season.

Numerous chances came and went for the visitors to extend their advantage, but they made do with a two-goal lead going into the break; in-fact the Division One high-fliers had to wait until the closing stages before adding to their tally,

First an own-goal (or Mark Faflik depending on source) was added with twelve remaining then, three minutes later and substitutes Elliot King and Tyler Smith combined for the fourth, King slotting the ball through for Smith to fire past the onrushing ‘keeper.

A destructive final ten was capped with four minutes remaining when Luke Andersen out-jumped everyone to head home the fifth of the afternoon, Town getting their promotion push back on track ahead of two, local derbies, in their next three outings, they hosting Sandiacre Town on 3 February, then Rainworth Miners Welfare on 17 February, a trip to Kirby Muxloe sandwiched between.

Newark Town – Eddie Cooper, Jonny Wiles, Simon Biggs, Luke Andersen, Jamie Lloyd, Jack Beckett (Elliot King, 70), Alex Hales, Lewis Chambers (Tyler Smith, 70), Harvey Grice (Mark Faflik, 74), Sean Devlin (Jackson Buckthorp, 63), Ryan Smith (Lucus Cotterill, 74)

With Newark winning in Division One there was also success for Clipstone, Dunkirk, and Rainworth Miners Welfare; Clipstone sit second following a narrow, 2-1 home win over Sandiacre Town, the visitors having led on the hour but Gareth Curtis grabbed a stoppage time winner.

Dunkirk won a local, five-goal thriller, away to Gedling Moers Welfare, Jack Thatcher with a brace for the victors, whilst second half goals from Matt Goodwin and Callum Brooks gave Rainworth a 2-1 win at Holwell Sports.

Radford picked up a battling point away to Leicester St. Andrews whilst there was defeats for West Bridgford (1-0 at Birstall United), Southwell City (1-0 at home to Blackstones) and Seslton (3-1 at home to leaders Bourne Town).

Retford United picked up a point in the Northern Counties East Division One, second half goals from Liam Owen and Brandon Kane, with eight minutes remaining, earning a 2-2 draw away to Brigg Town, whilst Ollerton Town, and Retford, both suffered 4-1 defeats at home, against Wombwell Town and Beverley Town respectively.

Reilly Hodgkinson scored twice for Blidworth Welfare as they progressed in the Buckingham Insurance Central Midlands Alliance Challenge Cup, in a 3-0 win away to SJR Worksop, whilst in the CMA Premier North, Woodhouse Colts lost a seven-goal thriller at home to AFC Phoenix, Jayden Bull’s hat-trick for the hosts not enough for a point.

Meanwhile, in the Premier South, Aaron Cartington’s goal was enough for Mansfield Hosiery Mills to see off visitors Graham St. Prims, Linby Colliery Welfare lost by the same result when home to Wirksworth Ivanhoe, and Arnold Town lost 3-0 at Mayfield, the five Nottinghamshire clubs entrenched in the bottom eight.

As for the Nottinghamshire Senior League Premier Division, Stapleford Town, who saw Aaron Large’s two goals give them another win, this time at Ruddington Village, sit thirteen points clear of second place Wollaton, although they have three games in hand.

Elsewhere in the division Alexander Goodall scored twice as AFC Dunkirk won 5-1 at home to Southwell City Reserves, Woodthorpe Park Rangers won 4-0 at Ravenshead , Beeston claimed a 4-2 success at Gresley Rovers Reserves, and FC Sez had a 3-0 success at West Bridgford Colts IIs, Dominic Furness also bagging a brace.

*Article provided by Peter Mann (Senior Correspondent).

*Main image @Papapix Prince Mancinelli on the scoresheet for Basford United.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *