Tigers Denied By League Leaders

A depleted schedule of non-league football across Nottinghamshire this past weekend saw but a handful of games played, whilst there was no action for local sides resident in the Central Midlands Alliance Premier divisions.

Both Worksop Town, and Basford United, picked up draws in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, whilst Carlton Town’s home game with north-east outfit, Dunston UTS, was postponed; there was plenty of goals lower down the pyramid though, United Counties Premier leaders, Sherwood Colliery with four, and Northern Counties East Division One promotion hopefuls, Retford United hammering in eight, in a dominant first half.

In the NPL, the two goals scored in Worksop’s home game with Radcliffe arrived in the opening thirty minutes or so, the visitors opening the scoring inside five when Josh Hancock netted, Jay Rollins netting the equaliser on thirty-two as the two sides shared the spoils; Basford meanwhile, they were held to a goalless draw when home to Hyde United.

Sherwood Colliery hold a four-point advantage in the UCL Premier North following their convincing, 4-0 home win over lowly Pinchbeck United, although it was looking a little dicey after a goalless first half; Craig Westcarr eased home nerves though with the opener five minutes into the second half and Jobe Shaw added the second just eight minutes later.

The title hopefuls added a decisive third on sixty-five minutes when Harry Bircumshaw netted, with Aaron Korpal adding a fourth with ten minutes remaining, and with the club now into the final ten of the season, hopes are surely high of a successful finale.

Eastwood’s hopes of a play-off spot are still burning after they won 3-2 at home to Wisbech Town, Alexander Troke’s brace seeing them two points behind fifth place Melton Town, in the final play-off position, Aaron O’Connor also netting.

Newark & Sherwood United also enjoyed victory, winning 3-1 at home to Heanor Town, keeping themselves well out of reach of the relegation spot as Benjamin Henderson and Liam Moran netted in the first half, and Renaldo Smith added a stoppage time third; bottom club Hucknall Town losing 2-1 away to Sleaford, Niall Towle with the visitor’s goal.

In Division One meanwhile, second place Clipstone strengthened their promotion credentials with a narrow, 1-0 win, at home to Blackstones, Ryan Ingram with the only goal of the game, third place Newark Town drawing 0-0 at fourth place Kirby Muxloe.

Dunkirk, also in the play-off places, sitting fifth, won a six-goal derby, 4-2, at Rainworth Miners Welfare, who saw Callum Brooks open and close the scoring, in the first and ninety-fifth minutes; Dunkirk meanwhile saw a pair of braces registered, George Harrison and Jack Thatcher with the goals to seal the three points.

Surprisingly there was no goals scored in the second half of the Northern Counties East Division One match between high-flying Retford United, and lowly Ollerton Town; saying that as Retford ran riot in the first half when bagging eight in what was, an 8-1 win.

Liam Owen and Alister Haydock both bagged braces in the opening half hour; with Adam Chapman and Max Dungworth also netting before Ollerton scored a consolation through Toby Francis, who tapped home a cross from Sam Cullingworth just after the half hour.

Already 6-1 to the good, Retford added two more late in the first when Owen Fieldsend and Joshua Nodder rounded off the scoring; the only real action of a, surprisingly quiet second, a penalty late on, visiting shot-stopper Charlie Preston saving the resultant spot-kick.

Only a handful of games were played in the Nottinghamshire Senior League as well, the two Premier Division games seeing leaders Stapleford Town claim a 2-0 home win over Collingham, Alans Voskresenskis and Liam McCormack netting, whilst the game between Woodthorpe Park Rangers and FC Sez saw six goals shared, and six different scorers – Connor Scott-Parkin, Dalton Stephens and Tony Wilson with the goals for the hosts, Dominic Furniss, Bailey Walker and Michael Lindsay for the visitors.

Meanwhile there was quarter-final action played in the NSLs Intermediate Cup, Greyfriars romping into the final four with a comprehensive, 11-0 win, away to buyglass.co Reindeer FC, Stapleford Reserves won 3-0 at Rushcliffe, and Shirebrook Soldiers edged hosts Southwell Development, Ben Charlesworth with the only goal of the game.

*Article provided by Peter Mann (Senior Correspondent).

*Main image @worksoptownfc Jay Rollins nets for Worksop who draw with Radcliffe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *