Carlton Edge Bingham In Extra Time

Northern Premier League South East Division Carlton Town were taken to extra time by Notts Senior League high flyers Bingham Town in a cracking Nottinghamshire Senior Cup fourth round game that went the distance plus more.

With the game played under the lights at the Millers Stoke Lane venue at the Bill Stokeld Stadium it was the underdogs Bingham of three steps below Carlton who would have the better of the early exchanges in what was said to be the biggest game in the club’s recent history with both sides going in 0-0 at the break.

Buoyed by their fabulous first half it was Bingham who started the second in much the same vein as Ed Hodgson buried home to put the visitors 1-0 up just after the hour.

As the upset possibilities began to sink in however little under ten minutes later Carlton, hosting the tie as the away side in a reverse fixture soon levelled things up through Tyler Blake but although the step 4 team had chances to see off their tiring opponents they couldn’t do anything better than take the game into extra time.

But it was the experience and fitness in the end that came through and the semi-pro outfit eventually made head ways in pushing for a winner they got their reward with a first half extra time goal from Mamoke Akaunu.

Credit to Bingham Town who did their club, fans and league proud against a side that has for the last ten years reached five Senior Cup finals themselves.

Another game that went all the way plus even more was Hucknall Town verses Gedling Miners Welfare at Watnall Road with their fourth round match tied at 2-2 in normal time thanks to Joe Butler on 40 and Tom Hubbard putting the hosts 2-0 up early in the second half before Courtney Hastings and Matthew Newton with a penalty leveling things off. With no winner in the extra thirty minutes the game was decided via a shootout with Gedling eventually winning 5-4 on penalties.

Finally another game that went into extra time eventually became an easier nights work for East Midlands Counties League side Eastwood Community who beat NCEL Division One rivals Ollerton Town 4-1 at Coronation Park. Wayde Hines put the Red Badgers 1-0 up after 6 minutes before Foulds levelled on 18 and with the two sides locked at 90 minutes the visitors fell apart in the extra 30 as David Leak, Benjamin Gowing and Kieran Knight ‘eventually’ put the home side through.

*Main image @CT1904 Carlton & Bingham hold a minutes silence for Matlock Town’s Jordan Sinnot who tragically passed away at the weekend.

Leave a Reply