Radford Well Beaten By Heanor

Radford 1-4 Heanor Town (East Midlands Counties League) 10.03.20

Heanor Town visited the CDW Arena on Tuesday night and dealt hosts Radford yet another 4-1 defeat in the East Midlands Counties Football League.

Radford were without a win in five games coming into this match and faced a Heanor Town side looking to move closer to league leader’s Sherwood Colliery.

Kieran Debrouwer opened the scoring for Heanor before top-scorer Jamie Sleigh netted twice before half-time. Simon Hore headed home just after the restart to give the home side some hope but it was swiftly nipped in the bud as Sleigh sealed his hat-trick.

Radford showed some encouraging signs early on and could’ve gone ahead through Liam Smallwood inside 10 minutes. The midfielder broke through the Heanor defence and poked a shot past the goalkeeper only to be denied by the post. Heanor soon began to threaten in the match, demonstrating why they’re at the top end of the table and pushing for promotion. Sleigh threatened to open the scoring on 27 minutes but having pounced on a loose ball he could only poke his shot wide when through on goal.

Debutant goalkeeper Tobias Randall kept the scores goalless a minute later when he made a brilliant double save. However, the youngster was helpless to prevent Heanor breaking the deadlock on 32 minutes when a dangerous cross was dealt with poorly and Kieran Debrouwer was able to knee the ball into an empty net. Moments later and the deficit doubled for Radford as Sleigh was first to a rebounded shot and headed home from close range.

This rapid collapse by the Pheasants was all too familiar and it got worse before the half-time whistle arrived. Radford were once again punished by Sleigh’s clinical finishing as the forward latched onto a short goal kick before turning in the box and finding the bottom corner.

Half-time was heavily welcomed by the hosts and they made the best possible start to the second-half through Simon Hore. The Radford captain met a dangerous corner delivery at the back post to give his side a lifeline on 47 minutes. This did give the Radford players a boost and they looked fired up to try and claw themselves back into the match. However, Heanor aren’t at the top end of the table by luck and they soon restored their three-goal cushion just after the hour-mark. Jamie Sleigh beat the offside trap and then drove a shot across the face of goal and into the bottom corner to bring up 35 goals for the season. Radford managed to keep the scoreline the same for the remainder of the game with some great stops by young goalkeeper Tobias Randall denying Heanor.

The Lions move up to second place in the table as a result of this game whilst Radford drop one place to eighth.

Radford: Randall, Cooke, Hore, McLaughlin, Hopewell, Smallwood, Manners, Smith, Akauna (Moore 23), Cotterill (Daly 70), Akinbinu (Salam 84).

Heanor Town: Pierrepont, Horne, Nice, Thornberry, Roulston, Hall, Hazeldine (Vowles 65), Ball, Sleigh, Debrouwer (Whitehead 73), Matthews.

Venue: Selhurst Street (71)

*Article provided by Peter Trifunovic (Radford Correspondent).

*Main image @RadfordFC64 action from Selhurst Street as Heanor come away with the points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *