Basford Beaten At Long Eaton

Long Eaton United 2-1 Basford United (Friendly) 22.08.20

Basford United suffered their first loss of pre-season as they went down 2-1 to Long Eaton United. Former Long Eaton man Niall Towle fired Basford into a half time lead. Romaine Graham then stuck three minutes after the restart and with less than ten minutes left on the clock former Basford winger Jamie Walker slotted in a penalty to give his new club the win.

Basford started the game on the front foot and came close on just five minutes when Marcus Marshall burst into the area but his effort was wide of the mark. That was before former Long Eaton forward Towle headed just wide of the post from James Clifton’s cross. Despite Basford controlling much of the play it was the hosts who came closest to scoring. A good passing move saw James Taylor put through on goal and his volley had Kieran Preston scrambling to save.

On 16 minutes the game did get its first goal. Marcus Marshall fizzed the ball in and it ran through to Towle to fire into the net from close range. It was almost two in two minutes as Kyle Dixon raced through on goal but his effort under pressure from a defender was over the bar.

Towle then had another couple of chances before Long Eaton had a chance of their own. A poor clearance gifted the ball to James Shaw but his effort was wide of the post. Just a minute later Preston was forced into a good stop at his near post to deny Kameron Campbell.

Before the break there was a chance for Charlie Gatter but his header was over the bar as Basford went in at half time with just the one goal advantage.

Within three minutes of the restart the game was level. A corner from the left was not dealt with and was flicked in at the near post by Graham.

Basford were then back on the front foot as Marshall fired just wide of the mark before a last-ditch tackle denied him minutes later. Up the other set plays continued to trouble Basford as on a number of occasions they had to scramble the ball to safety.

With 20 minutes left in the game the hosts took control of the game. Danny Gordon capitalised on some poor defending and forced Preston into a save. Just a minute later  Walker fired the ball off the cross bar and Gordon could not find a way past Preston from the rebound.

The hosts control of the game saw them move into the lead with eight minutes left on the clock. The ball struck the hand of Ryan Wilson and from the penalty spot former Basford Winger Jamie Walker fired the ball into the back of the net.  From the restart the post then came to Long Eaton’s rescue as Towle glanced the ball against it at the back post before the ball was smashed clear.

A free-kick in the last minutes offered Basford a glimpse of hope at getting a draw from the game but it was struck just wide of the post as the score stayed at 2-1.

Harry Worgan

*Article provided by Harry Worgan (Basford United Correspondent).

*Main image @Basfordutdfc action from today’s game at Grange Park.

Leave a Reply