Basford Beat Gedling In Friendly

Basford United 3-1 Gedling Miners Welfare (Friendly) 26.08.20

Basford United returned to winning ways with a 3-1 win over Gedling Miners Welfare. Basford dominated the opening half but somehow found themselves 1-0 down as Josh Thornton scored for Gedling.

Three goals in the second half from Ryan Wilson, Rev James and Niall Towle saw Basford’s dominance rewarded with a win.

Basford started quickly and came close on several occasions in the opening ten minutes. Wilson fizzed a cross across the face of goal that came close to nestling in the far corner before James Carvell fired a low cross over the bar.

Carvell was involved again on 18 minutes but again his effort was off target. Some great defending then denied Basford as a cross was nicked off the head of Marcus Marshall who looked certain to score.

It should have been 1-0 to Basford on 26 minutes when Marshall’s low cross was inches away from being tapped in by Towle at the back post. Just moments later Rev James then had an effort blocked by last ditch defending.

Gedling did have a chance just after the half mark but skipper Josh Thornton failed to hit the target with his low drive from range. The game then continued with Basford dominating proceedings. And they should have taken the lead on 38 minutes when a cross from the left picked out Towle but the forward could only chest the ball wide of the Gedling goal.

Then with just one-minute left on the clock a corner from the right was knocked in by Thornton to send Gedling into the lead at the break.

Within three minutes of the restart the game was level. Wilson looked to whip the ball into the box and it curled into the bottom corner past the substitute ‘keeper Keaton Sharpe.  The forward pressure continued in Basford favour. Both Carr and Carvell had efforts blocked before Marshall drew a stunning save from the Gedling ‘keeper.

Gedling then had to scramble the ball off the line as Basford went again, that before a cross from the right was put wide of the post by Carr from point blank range. The pressure then did tell in the 69th minute as defensive mix up allowed James to slot the ball into the bottom corner.

With ten minutes left it seemed as if Basford’s hard work would be undone as a mix up gave Gedling a chance but the forward slotted his effort wide of the post despite beating Kieran Preston.

Up the other end a goal mouth scramble and a good save by the ‘keeper denied Basford what would have been a deserved third goal with just over five minutes left on the clock.  They did get their third with a minute left on the clock. A corner from the right was met by an overhead kick from Towle to see the game end 3-1.

Harry Worgan

*Article provided by Harry Worgan (Basford United Correspondent).

*Main image @Basfordutdfc action in the rain between Basford and Gedling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *