Basford Win In Lancaster

Lancaster City 1-2 Basford United (Northern Premier League) 26.09.20

Basford United put in a stunning performance to beat Lancaster City 2-1. They took the lead through Stef Galinski but were pegged back through Andy Teague’s goal.

Steve Chettle’s side kicked on in the second half and took the lead through Alex Howes. They then showed defensive grit to hold out for the win.

The opening ten minutes of the game were controlled by Basford, but it was Lancaster who had the first real chance. From the kick-off the ball came to Jacob Gregory and he forced Kieran Preston into a good save from range. The next 20 minutes were an even affair with no real chances for either side. The only half chance came as Preston cleared from the feet of Matthew Blinkhorn after Lewis Carr failed to remove the danger.

Up the other end it was 1-0 to Basford. A succession of corners saw Galinski rise highest and although his header looked to have been cleared off the line, the assistant referee had a different view and flagged to give Steve Chettle’s side the lead.

That lead was short lived though as the hosts hit back. Again, Basford failed to deal with a ball into the box and Teague was there to tap into the net from close range.  They then thought they had a second soon after as Blinkhorn fired home but it was ruled out for a foul on Carr as the two sides went into the break level.

The start of the second half saw Lancaster go close through Dave Norris before they fell behind. Kane Richards beat several players before Rev James put a low ball across the six-yard box where Howes was waiting to fire home his first goal for Basford.

It was almost 3-1 before the hour as Basford’s good start to the half continued. They worked the ball well around the box and sent Matt Thornhill through on goal, but some good defending denied the Basford captain a strike at goal.

The game was almost level again though on 60 minutes as a corner was almost turned in by Glenn Steel but James Clifton did well to get the ball clear for another corner that was easily dealt with. The strong defending continued from Basford and it was almost rewarded when Rev James looked to break clear but his effort was blocked before Howes saw his effort on the rebound hit a defender.

The hosts then took over as they looked to get back into the game but Basford stood strong. Clifton got his position perfect to take the ball off Rhys Turner who looked to be in on goal, before Carr through himself at a shot on the edge of the box to keep Lancaster out.

Lancaster City: Ashton, Fensome, Bailey, Cowperthwaite, Teague, Steel, Gregory, Dawson (Sloan 78), Blinkhorn, Norris, Kilifin (Turner 70).

Basford United: Preston, Galinski, Carr, Clifton, Wilson, Thornhill, Chettle, Howes (Tague 71), James, Dixon (Gatter 90), Richards (Towle 76).

Venue: Giant Axe (196)

Harry Worgan

*Article provided by Harry Worgan (Basford United Correspondent).

*Main image @Basfordutdfc Manager Steve Chettle was pleased with his sides performance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *