Cobras Fight Back For Score Draw

Shirebrook Town 2-2 Clipstone (East Midlands Counties League) 24.10.20

Charlie Dawes bagged a brace as Clipstone battled back to claim a draw at Shirebrook as Clipstones’ wait for a first league win in October went on.

During a half which seemed to go on forever, Clipstone’s bad luck seemed like it would never end. A penalty was awarded to the hosts, for what the referee deemed a foul by goalkeeper Ryan Skidmore who punched the ball away to safety.

Thankfully, justice was served when Skidmore guessed the right way and made a great stop to keep the score at 0-0.

Shortly after, Skidmore went down injured after twisting his knee, he couldn’t continue and with no backup goalkeeper on the bench, Lewis Warwick had to go in goal.

Warwick, has played in goal for the Cobras before, albeit it’s not something we want to happen, we do feel comfortable with the club captain between the sticks.

Chris Smith nearly put the visitors ahead but former Cobra, Michael Ball, produced a top quality save. From that resulting save Shirebrook went down the other end and Luke Manlove made no mistake, putting the home side ahead.

Shortly after the second half was underway, the fresh legs of Josh Pickering gave

Shirebrook a lot more to think about. After a driving run, he was brought down and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

After last weeks penalty miss against Gedling, Charlie Dawes was next on the list to take a penalty. The forward though, failed to hit the target after blazing it over the bar.

Another former Clipstone player, Joe Harris, who is always a reliable left back, capped a fine performance with a brilliantly directed header that nestled in after the 64th minute.

The penalty miss only seemed to spur Dawes on, who got his and Clipstone’s first goal of the game, this time there was no chance he would miss. A dangerous free kick from Foster caused plenty of trouble, before Smith’s clever little backheel went into the path of Dawes who smashed it home.

Clipstone didn’t have to wait long for their second, again Dawes at the forefront of it. He managed to put it onto his left foot just outside the box and direct it on goal, this time hitting the post and bouncing onto the back of the head of goalkeeper Ball and in to the net..

Jack Warwick almost stole the spoils for the Cobras’ late on when he directed two headers just over the bar.

*Main image @ClipstoneFC1 derby day action from Langwith Road as Clipstone celebrate a goal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *