Basford Crush Port Vale In Youth Cup

Port Vale U18 1-4 Basford United U18 (FA Youth Cup Round One) 04.11.20

Basford United Under 18s came from behind to win 4-1 away to Port Vale Under 18s and book their place in the second-round proper of the FA Youth Cup.

Reece Robins had put the hosts ahead but just 90 seconds later Wayde Hines, added to his first senior goal for Basford which he scored on Saturday, as he levelled from the spot. He then put Basford ahead with a fantastic free-kick after Will Tams was shown a straight red.

Midway through the second half substitute Lewis Rourke’s emphatic finish moved Basford two clear and late on Rory Harrison’s corner settled in the back of the net to cap of a great night for Josh Law’s young side.

Basford almost had the perfect start to the game when after just 90 seconds Vale ‘keeper Tom Gregors almost turned Jordan Haywood’s cross into his own net. Gianni Musson was then called into action up the other end as he saved from Eden Bailey before denying Robins.

The visitors then had a couple of opportunities to move into the lead as George Sharman looped an effort over the bar before Kiarne Nyemba forced Gregors into a good save after the forward beat the offside trap.

Josh Law’s side were quickly punished for those errors as they gave the ball away deep in their own half allowing Robins to slot home from just inside the area. But there were instantly level. Hines twisted and turned his way through several defenders before being taken down. He then stepped up to fire home from the sport.

The hosts then went close as Musson pulled off a great save before an even better tackle from Callum Frogson’s stopped a certain goal. Sharman was the next Basford player to put in a last-ditch tackle as the hosts looked to move back in front.

Port Vale were a man light as Tams was shown a straight red for a foul on Hines in the 44th minute as the forward looked to be in on goal. The Basford captain fired the subsequent free-kick past Gregors to double Basford’s lead at the break.

The second half began with Port Vale forcing the issue but they created very little as Basford limited them to no real chances and looked more likely to score. Substitute Rourke had an effort blocked before Peters fired over from range. Haywood then saw a cross blocked and from the subsequent corner was cleared off the line.

With 11 minutes left to go Basford got a third. They broke on the counter and Harrison saw an effort blocked, with the loose ball falling into the path of  Rourke who was there to smash the ball into the top corner.

They then went close to a fourth with Hines firing inches wide of the post, that was before Sam Newell struck the bar with a free-kick and Nathaniel Peters was unable to tap home the rebound from close range.

With two minutes on the clock a fine night for Law’s side was capped off with goal number four. A Harrison corner from the right missed everyone on its way to the back of the net, to confirm Basford’s place in the next round of the FA Youth Cup.

Port Vale: Gregors, Bradbury, Lennon, Ilori, Tams, Chibaya, McFarlane, Chambers, Bailey, Robins, Jones.

Basford United: Musson, Rhule, Haywood, Sharman, Frogson, Hayden, Harison, Newell, Nyemba, Hines, Peters.

Venue: Vale Park

Harry Worgan

*Article provided by Harry Worgan (Basford United Correspondent).

*Main image @Basfordutdfc celebration times as Basford go through against football league opposition.

Leave a Reply