Carlton Close Gap On Playoff Places

Carlton Town 2-1 Belper Town (Northern Premier League Midlands Division) 09.04.22

Tyler Blake scored in the 94th minute to keep Carlton Town’s promotion hopes alive as they beat play-off rivals Belper Town 2-1 at Stoke Lane.

In a tight game it looked as though the Nailers had done enough to leave with a point that would have all but guaranteed them the final play-off spot.  But Blake’s intervention means the two sides are separated by just four points with three games left to play.

Mark Harvey and Tommy Brookbanks made just one change to the side which had beaten Chasetown last time out, with Khyle Sargent replacing Ryan Tait.

Belper featured ex-Carlton captain Riece Bertram in their starting eleven.

The Nailers had the first effort on goal when Derry Robson saw an angled shot hit the top of the crossbar and drop out of play.

Sam Muggleton was causing problems for the Millers with his enormous throw-ins and one of those was headed just over the bar by Danny South.

At the other end goalkeeper Daniel Moore made a fine save from a Nat Watson free kick with Sargent inches away from connecting.

It was a first half of very few chances but South did head against the post from a Brodie Litchfield cross albeit Shaun Rowley looked to have it covered.

The Millers had a strong shout for a penalty when Aaron O’Connor ran onto a clever Louis Czerwak flick and beat Moore to the ball before being upended by the young goalkeeper.  The referee however wasn’t interested, deeming it a joint-collision.

Carlton opened the scoring on 49 minutes with their first real chance of the game.  O’Connor ran onto a lovely Watson pass and fired beyond Moore.

Belper levelled within four minutes.  The Millers failed to clear another Muggleton long throw and Tom Wilson headed over Rowley and into the net.

The Millers defence kept a dangerous Belper attack at bay, with a couple of dangerous crosses the extent to the visitors threat.

Carlton brought on Aaron Opoku, Blake and Tyler Johal as they chased the win, but Belper kept a solid shape and restricted Carlton to very few chances at all.

With time running out, Watson combined with Johal to present a chance to Sargent, but his effort flew over the top.

An injury to goalkeeper Moore saw play stopped towards the end of the game which led to five minutes added time.  And with the game in the fourth of those minutes Blake came up with his dramatic winner.

A throw-in from Lawrence Gorman wasn’t cleared by Belper.  Tom Maddison played a delightful cross which Blake headed into the roof of the net from 12 yards to spark scenes of joy amongst the home support.  The season is still alive!

Carlton Town: Rowley, Gorman, Fletcher (Johal 66), Ball, Brown, Maddison, Czerwak (Opoku 57), Sargent, Watson, O’Connor, Howes (Blake 57).

*Article provided by Sky Blue Miller.

*Main image @MossleySmiffy A late goal gives Carlton a hue win at the Bill Stokeld Stadium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *