Carlton Beaten By Ossett

Carlton Town 0-2 Ossett United (Northern Premier League East Division) 13.08.22

Second half goals from Oliver Fearon and Ify Ogoegbu saw Carlton Town suffer a disappointing 2-0 opening day defeat at home to Ossett Utd.

The Millers could have no complaints about the result.  In a match played in almost unbearable heat, the visitors looked the stronger throughout and only some fine saves from goalkeeper Mike Emery kept Carlton in the game in the first half.

Emery was one of five debutants in the starting eleven, joined by new signings Lewis Durow, Kyle Tomlin, Brad Wells and Jack Deakin.  New players Dean Freeman and goalkeeper Richard Stainsby were among the substitutes in a new-look Carlton Town side.

The Millers were transferred to the First Division East in the summer and Ossett gave Carlton a taste of just how tough this division could be with a very solid display.

Emery’s first save was on just seven minutes when he pushed away a close range effort from the dangerous Ofoegbu.

Shortly before the half hour Fearon headed an Ofoegbu cross over the bar from a good position.

Carlton’s first potential chance came soon afterwards when Martin Ball met a Lawrence Gorman free kick, but his effort was blocked and cleared.

Dan Brown then made a superb headed clearance from a dangerous cross from Ross Hardaker as Ossett pushed forward again.

Ofoegbu took advantage of some loose passing and darted away down the right, only for Khyle Sargent to make up 40 yards and shut down the attack with an excellent tackle.

On the stroke of half time Ossett looked certain to score.  Hardaker and Fearon had combined down the left to set up Ofoegbu with the simplest of chances but somehow Brown and Emery between them kept the ball out of the net.

Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey brought on Freeman for Durow at half time with Brown moving to left back and initially Carlton looked to attack, with Ball seeing another header from a Gorman corner pushed away.

But the visitors opened the scoring on 54 minutes when Fearon found himself unmarked and headed a Craig Nelthorpe cross beyond Emery.

Three minutes later they doubled their advantage when Tomlin’s attempted clearance ricocheted off Emery and Ofoegbu and into the net.

Carlton tried to respond and Gorman and Wells combined to allow Deakin a shot on target but Ed Hall in the Ossett goal saved comfortably.

In the tough conditions it was always going to be difficult to get back into the game.  Sargent had a long range effort fly wide and Nat Watson and Alex Howes continued to try to find an opening, but the Ossett defence kept their shape very well and there was simply no way through on the day.

Carlton Town: M Emery, L Gorman, L Durow (D Freeman 46), M Ball, D Brown, K Tomlin (N Davie 62), N Watson, K Sargent, B Wells, J Deakin (D Thomas 62), A Howes.  Unused substitutes: R Tait, R Stainsby.

*Article provided by Sky Blue Miller.

*Main image @GBoatsy a decent turnout of 212 were at Stoke Lane on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *